Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Great MLM Spillover Debate

The Great Spillover Debate

Spillover: Are you looking for it or creating it?

There is no shortage of opinions when it comes to the idea of making money based on spillover.

Does spillover happen? Absolutely.

Is spillover the way to build fantastic wealth? Hardly.

The plain and simple truth of the matter is:

Spillover happens when it does because SOMEBODY is promoting.

In a simple illustration of a 3x matrix, it looks like this:

Level 1 can hold 3 sales.
Level 2 can hold 9 sales.
Level 3 can hold 27 sales.
Level 4 can hold 81 sales.

And so on....

This sort of plan can and often does lead to spillover whenever there is at least one person that is effectively promoting and referring others.

Let's suppose you join a matrix plan and you are going to be a referring "machine". You see the potential and you know that the only place success comes before work is in the dictionary. You're ready to "rock enroll" and you know that you can help a lot of folks in the process because of the way the matrix plan is set up.

You get your three closest associates or friends or family members on the phone and you tell them what you are doing. They are excited and they join.

You now have 3 people on your first level.

Congratulations! You are off to a strong start.

Next, you contact some more close friends, associates, or family members and you plug them in on Level 2. It takes 9 people to fill Level 2.

You now have a full first level and a full 2nd level.

You are making even more money and everyone on your first level is seeing some growth because you created spillover for them by filling your 2nd level.

Your next task is to fill Level 3.

That will take 27 people. (3 x 9 = 27).
Getting tougher to carry that load by yourself, isn't it?

While you are working on filling Level 3, you start to get phone calls from people on Level 2. They want to know where the spillover is. Why aren't you building their downline for them? What's going on?

A couple of the people on Level 1 want to know why their downline is building so slowly. Can't you do something to speed things up? They have to make money so they can make a car payment this week! What are you doing up there, anyway?!?!?

Let's say you are really good at this stuff and you manage to fill your 3rd level with 27 new referrals.

Congratulations! You've done well for yourself. You've created spillover for your first level people and your 2nd level people. But now the 3rd level people want to know where their spillover is and the people on levels 1 and 2 want to know why they aren't making a few thousand dollars yet!

Sound familiar?

I know the true builders recognize some of these comments and questions. They get this sort of nonsense every single day.

Here's the thing that amazes me (and I've seen this a LOT over the years):

Someone will get up WAY too early in the morning, to drive WAY too far to a job they absolutely hate.

They will spend ALL DAY at that job making FAR too little money. They will then drive home in traffic, complaining about their stupid job, their lame boss, their lousy pay, and how this just isn't what they envisioned for their life.

But when their upline sponsor asks them about spending a few minutes a day promoting their web site to help with the team build, they instantly talk about how they don't have time, can't figure out how to log in, don't know where or how to post an ad... "I'm not good with that stuff!", etc...

And then they ask why their downline isn't growing faster.

It's a vicious cycle and I see it repeated throughout the world on a daily basis.

I want to be clear: Matrix plans can help a large number of people because of their design. As sales begin building, the new sales are forced down into the lower levels of the organization and that is called spillover. It does happen and I see people making money as a result.

But rarely do these sorts of people really get in to the big money.

Here is how the big money earners really do it:

They build with a team. They seek out fellow builders and workers and they work together with an attitude and approach to CREATING spillover rather than receiving spillover.

Suddenly, it's no longer about one person being able to refer 30 or 40 people on their own. It becomes about a team pulling together to create a massive group-wide momentum that results in the income levels that we end up reading about with other people.

Consider this:

If you are the kind of person spending an hour in the morning to drive to an 8 hour job and then another hour getting home and still not making the kind of income you desire, consider dedicating yourself to spending just 30 minutes a day and finding others that will do the same to take your life back by building your business.

When I started working online, I had 3 jobs. I worked as a janitor during the day, taught music lessons and played music at night, and cleaned boats on the lake on the weekends. I was working 60 to 70 hours a week on a regular basis.

THEN, because I absolutely KNEW there was a way to take my life back, I spent my evenings studying, researching, and trying various online methods of building wealth.

There were times when I didn't sleep for 2 days in a row. I was that dedicated to taking my life back and providing a stable life for my family. Bear in mind that I was doing this while married and with five kids! I wasn't a single guy with a few needs. I had a big rent payment, lots of groceries, car payments, and bills that just kept showing up month after month!

I knew that my current jobs were not going to get me there.

I knew that I couldn't just keep adding jobs.

I knew that there had to be a better way.

I knew that I was going to have to work my butt off for a while.

So I did.

I made a ton of mistakes along the way.

Some things didn't work out.

I maxed out a few credit cards along the way.

But I knew the answer was to keep plowing forward. I absolutely REFUSED to quit.

Today, I'm sitting in my home office writing this article. My commute to work is about 20 seconds. I don't fight traffic unless I'm taking my sons to a basketball game on the other side of town and I don't have to ask permission to take a day or the weekend off!

And the most important part of all (even more important than the fact that I make a LOT more money now) is: I absolutely LOVE what I do!

I want you and others to see that it can be done IF you wrap your mind around the idea of being willing to put solid effort in to CREATING your success.

Someone once told me... EVERY Online opportunity works. And every online opportunity doesn't work. It depends on the person involved and how they approach their business. I have to tell you: I agree 110%.

Brian Rooney
TrafficWave.net LLC

No comments: